Monday, March 16, 2009

Treasure Box

Have you ever experienced something traumatic enough that you knew it would stay with you forever? Thankfully I can count these times only on one hand. God has been gracious in my life.

I learn more during those times than any other. And I see Jesus more clearly too. Why do we wish trials away? And why do we try to escape them as quickly as possible? They make us who we are. More importantly they give us compassion and empathy for others in similar or even harder circumstances.

I have decided to give these lessons a place for safe keeping. A figurative place. I am calling it my Treasure Box. "Treasure" to remind me that even though the trial was tough, it was a GIFT. God allowed me to learn something new and I need to keep it with me forever.

Now the question is. Can I call the trial a "treasure" before its over? That is my newest lesson. It's much easier to accept it, be thankful and put it "away" if its over and if I know the outcome is in my favor. But can I give it to God before he has answered my prayers?

2 comments:

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

I think you certainly can call it a treasure in the midst of it being difficult. Rejoicing in the fruit you know it will bear before even seeing the fruit's buds is a sign of faith. Faith that God is always good and always for you.

Courtney said...

good thoughts. and great way to look at things...