Saturday, July 27, 2013

Update

We arrived safely to Guangzhou last night. Our plane sat at the gate for an hour making us quite nervous, but we eventually took off and landed safely. Avery did great on the flight. She is so quiet and observant. She feel asleep the last 30 minutes of the flight and slept through the very noisy landing. She has been through so much this week. Just as she is beginning to get comfortable and more outgoing we take her through another new experience.

She is allowing us to hold her more easily. The first few days she leaned away from us very stiffly. On the plane, I could tell she was sleepy, but she refused to lean back on me or let me rock her or hold her close. She actually fell asleep sitting up on my lap and then I gingerly leaned her against me. The good news is she falls asleep FAST and sleeps soundly!
Last night for the first time, she grabbed me around my neck and squeezed me while I was carrying her into the overwhelmingly large hotel lobby (very decorative) almost like a shopping mall. Such a great sign. She is still not favoring one of us over the other and doesn't make a fuss (yet) when she is alone for a second in hotel room.

I am feeling much better. Thank you for praying!!!
Neither Owen nor I touched the airline food so at 9 PM they ventured out to the Subway. Owen was pumped.


Don't be fooled by this picture. I could only stomach about half this and that was my first real meal in 24+ hours. Didn't taste very good last night, but I just ate the leftovers and it was fine. Must have been my sense of smell throwing me off :)
 
 
Avery is doing a little better too. We had her medical appt (for visa approval) this morning. The Dr was able to give us some cream for her sore bottom and suggested we stick with rice foods for awhile. The orphanage led us to believe that she was on no special diet. I think she was only given a bottle and maybe some rice porridge. Although she can pick up small bites of food with fingers and feed herself. Alas, so many things we will never know or understand.

There are 5 American families here in GZ and we will travel around as a big group this week. I can't tell you how awesome it feels to be in there presence. What a blessing. I almost cried when I saw The Waldman family we met in Beijing. Plus now we are all meeting each others new kids. So exciting!

Hopefully I am back for regular blogging :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so, so GLAD to awake to this post!!!! was up last night praying and you know how your mind can spiral! I know it was a rough time but so thankul for things being better!! I even realized Avery not feelling well was a chance for y'all to immediately show her care and love in a tangible way! God is at work , that I'm sure of! Can't wait to see and hear more:) love and prayers!

Unknown said...

oh, alleluia!!! i've been DYING to hear something! i'm so glad you are feeling better. and that you are with people you feel comfortable with - what a gift!! love you so so much!!

Courtney said...

not sure why i was "unknown"?? that was me - courtney :-)

Michelle said...

I am so glad to read hear that things are a little better! I can imagine how fun and comforting it is to be with other families now. Hope Avery continues to grow more comfortable and secure in your care. Can't wait for the next update!

PS- Kate is 10 days late and "sort of" in labor, so you can pray for her!