Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 13 Shamian Island

(I added some pool pics to day 12 post)
 
Today, we traveled a short distance to Shamian Island.
Shamian, previous known as Zhongliusha or Shicuizhou, is an elliptic sandbar in the Liwan District of Guangzhou City, Guangdong Province. The island's name literally means "sandy surface" in Chinese... The mansions there form the best preserved Western Europe style building complex in China. Forty-two out of 150 buildings are counted as the most exotic ones, Gothic, Baroque, and Neoclassical, in Guangzhou...Since the early 2000s, the Island has become well known for many Western couples who reside there, seeking to adopt Chinese babies and young children, most of whom are orphaned and female." It was also the former location for the Consulate of United States in Guangzhou. (travelchinaguide.com)
 
We walked around, entered a game of the Chinese version of hacky sack and some Chinese dancing and shopped.


Shamian island has a much different feel about it. It reminded me a little of Savanah, GA with the architecture and trees and sculptures. The humidity here is insane. I knew it would be bad, but wow!
There were brides and grooms everywhere getting their portraits taken. I can't imagine how hot they felt.

 Owen is doing his best to bring the Harlem Shake to China ;) Avery is catching on.
 
 She is getting steadier on her feet, but she didn't really like being with these sculptures.
She doesn't fuss much, but when she does, she is loud :)
I know, I know, welcome to mothering a girl :0
 
We've all been feeling well and sleeping great. My body isn't hating me for the hard bed or carrying Avery around. PTL! Thanks for the prayers! Tomorrow is a free day. Jess and I might do a little more shopping during naptime and then in the evening we have a group photo and a dinner cruise.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have LOVED reading about your journey and seeing the pictures. WONDERFULNESS!!!!!! I hope the next few days fly by for you. Hurry home!

Michelle said...

It sounds like you're doing really well....getting some rest and a more relaxed pace to your days. That is great. So glad to see that Owen is continuing to have fun. I WISH WISH WISH I was going to be at RVA to welcome you home!!

Michelle Lee said...

My sister and family just moved to Guangzhou 2 months ago. You should try to meet up with them if you can...email is janblanton@gmail.com

Michelle ( Humphrey) Lee