Saturday, July 20, 2013

Beijing Day 3- Part 1

We had another busy day. I hope we don't regret our pace, but we want to take full advantage of our time here. Who knows when we will be back. I am actually looking forward to moving on to our daughter's province b/c our schedule will slow down a lot for a few days at least.
Today we drove to slightly less popular section of the Great Wall, Mutianyu. The drive was long, almost 2 hours b/c of (weekend) traffic. First we stopped at a jade factory.

Then we had lunch at the most unbelievable restaurant. This is the view from our table. I wasn't sure our van was going to make it up the steep driveway to the restaurant. It was the first time for our driver and guide had been there. There was some confusion at the airport on Wed and it took us 50 mins and 2 phone calls to find our guide (prepaid). So in return they upgraded our already planned luncheon to this gorgeous place. I kept expecting a famous person to enter ;)
Our feast. Way too much food. Owen is at least willing to try most things. The meat definitely scares him.
 The view
The steep restaurant driveway, EJ with our guide Effie. She has been with us each day and Owen is having a great time talking to her about American things as well showing pics and videos of his brothers :)
 
The Great Wall - we took this cable car up to the wall and back.
It is breathtaking. I wish I could put into words how it felt to be on it. I have not had any time to process. It was the experience of a lifetime and I am so thankful we went. I only hope Avery will one day experience it for herself.
We spoke with a few families that saw this same spot yesterday and we had a much clearer day. The smog was heavier yesterday. Another blessing!
 




 



 
Our day did not stop here, but I must get to bed.
Heading to the train station tomorrow (your Sat night) to our daughter's Capital city.
We have a 2.5 hr ride on the bullet train. I can not wait to see the scenery outside of Beijing. We are getting so excited for Gotcha day (your Sun night). My heart is surprisingly calm. Most be all those prayers. Thank you!!!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Love the picture of you and Owen on the Great Wall. What an amazing experience for him! I am so thankful that you are able to give us a window into your days. Honored to pray!

Sarah said...

Hi Ali,
Reading with such anticipation and praying for much joy amidst the excitement! loving all the pictures - fun to explain to my boys all you are seeing and doing.

Catherine said...

I love being able to read your updates as you're traveling in China on this amazing journey! Love and prayers to you!

jenn said...

TOMORROW!!!!!!! :)

Courtney Cassada said...

you have experiences SO many wonderful things! memories with owen that he won't EVER forget!!