Monday, October 6, 2008

Wine, Beer and Crackers

Now that Owen is 4 he sits in "big" church with us. This has been an adjustment for all of us, but he has done pretty well. Most Sundays he leaves for Children's Worship (4-8yrs) right before the sermon. Communion Sundays are an exception and he stays with us the whole time. Our church leaders feel it is very important for our children to witness their parents and other believers partake of Communion. Well, this Sunday was the first time he witnessed Communion Sunday. In the past, we have talked/taught about the Last Supper and Communion so he is familiar with the reason we receive Communion. We told him beforehand what would happen and explained why he wouldn't participate.
As you can imagine the service felt twice as long to him b/c he wasn't excused for Children's Worship. He was so curious about when and how Communion would happen. During the sermon he kept whispering, "mama, where is the wine and the beer?" Hmm... so maybe we didn't teach it so well!
Anyway, I am writing all this because it was a sweet time with Owen. I want to write it down so I don't forget. Instead of being embarrassed or annoyed with his whispers I pulled him onto my lap and as the Pastor broke the bread I explained the whole thing. What an awesome privilege we have as parents. I am praying for the day he gives his heart to Jesus and joins with us to receive the bread and wine.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you were able to have such a sweet experience sharing that with Owen!

Courtney said...

wow! what a sweet moment you got to have with him!