Friday, October 10, 2008

New perspective

When I first became a mom I began to view my parents and childhood differently. It just naturally happens because I am seeing through "mom" eyes and not "daughter" eyes. I think it happens to everyone. Well now that I have a second child I am seeing the world through my younger sister's eyes. Following me?
I am the oldest of two girls. When we were growing up,my sister, Lissa rarely let me forget that she was the second and therefore less privileged (in her eyes) than me. Obviously it has gotten better now that we are both adults, but it usually comes up in some fashion when we are together with family. Whether with a joke or a story or even remarks about "poor" Mason.
Which leads me to my point. Now that I have a second child, I think I can better understand. He IS the second child, the second grandchild and it does become an identity whether we make it one or not. He will always (God willing) have a bigger brother to push him around, "teach" him the way, and experience everything before he does. While being the older sibling has its disadvantages, ones Lissa may never know, I am thankful that I can relate with her in a new way. Mostly I am grateful that she has made me more aware of what its like to be Mason.
Some days Mason chooses to be inches away from his brother. Trying to do everything Owen does. Making the same truck noises or laughing just because his brother is laughing. Other times the sight of Owen makes him cry. He wants nothing to do with Owen nor be near him. And because of my sister I can have more compassion.

I love you Lissa. Isn't she beautiful!

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Thanks for the tribute big sis! I love you too!