I made a sign for each day of the week. Every morning we rotate the sign. I also made an envelope for each day with 5 cards in them, each with a word pertaining to our Way (most are repeat of the summer study). I rotate the words as we go along. On Monday, we also have our missionary of the day on the fridge. That also rotates and I may start making my own. For now we use the ones available through our church.
Monday is pretty simple. In the morning, Owen reads the day of the week (so Mason can learn them,) the verse and word. We discuss the definition of the word and why it pertains to missions.
After school, normally before homework and during snack we find the country where the missionary is serving on the globe. Then they usually want to see how far or close he/she is from us.
Some Mondays the boys have questions, other days it's all I can do to get that much said. At meals and bedtime we try to pray for the missionary. I especially love this b/c often times EJ and I have already committed to praying for that individual and it's easy to forget. Now we have a set time, plus I am finding that I think of them more often during the week.
Last week, I was able to share a few posts from the missionary's blog. The boys loved seeing with their own eyes where she lived and worked. We also did an art project. It was a light homework day and everyone was in the right mood (this is NOT always the case). We traced our feet and decorated them b/c earlier that day, on my own I had read this verse, How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” Romans 10:14-15
It applied beautifully to our mission-minded day and gave me the art project idea.
I love the vocabulary they are learning. I love the geography they are learning. I love that we are exposing them to parts of the world they would not otherwise hear about. Hopefully we can even begin to correspond with some of the missionaries. One of Mason's classmates from preschool last year has actually just moved to London to serve with WHM. I chose their family on our first Monday. Mason was thrilled and very curious.
1 comment:
i love that you are sharing all of this with us! thank you!
we just sent a package and started being pen pals with a family in peru. it's amazing the world now - my kids can follow their kids on their mom's blog and see how they are doing - it helps give them more to say in their letters!
Post a Comment