Monday, October 24, 2011

Ring of Thanks

This week at Wellspring we are reading from Genesis 3: 1-8, when Satan tempts Eve and Adam into eating from the tree that God specifically asked them not to. 
I have been pondering the ways in which Satan specifically tempted Eve to sin. 
He made her question God's word. 
He lead her to believe what God had given her wasn't enough. 
He convinced her that God was holding something back. 
Satan distracted her thoughts from all that she had to be thankful for and insisted she could do better.

Satan also tried to tempt Jesus. 
He was not successful. 
So, I pondered on that awhile. 
Satan tempted Jesus 3 times and 3 times he responded "It is written..."

The difference between Eve and Jesus (besides the obvious-he is God in the flesh) Jesus immediately goes to God's word and takes God at his word. He doesn't doubt what God has said and what God has planned for him.

When I start thinking of all that I don't have, I am easily tempted to think God's plan is not enough. But when I count my blessings, take the time to be thankful, it's far easier to fight the urge of temptation. Being in His word also makes this easier. We fool ourselves into thinking we know what is true. But there are a lot of lies out there. A whole lot.

I am thankful for these thoughts as we enter the month of November!

On that note:

 

It doesn't look like much yet, but by the end of November, it will be a wreath full of colorful leaves. On those leaves, will be a record of what our family is thankful for. Starting Nov. 1st at dinner, each night, we will take turns thinking of 1 thing or person and write them on foam leaf stickers. This is our 3rd year for this tradition. We love it. Then, we will trade this wreath for our Advent wreath. 
Both wreaths prepare our heart's for celebrating Christ's birth.

2010
2009
"...giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light. For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."
Colossians 1:12-14

1 comment:

Jill said...

We are studying Genesis at CBS this year too. It's so true that when I am mindful of God's blessings, I have less brain space to doubt His plan. Now I just need to stay in that frame of mind by keeping in His word.

I love that you have taken pictures of your traditional November Thanksgiving activity. Great idea!