Thursday, October 27, 2011

Love on a Mission

Over the past 11 years, EJ and I have been in various home-groups (evening bible study) with folks from our church. We took breaks here and there and for awhile it served our children best for EJ and I to be in separate groups, but overall we've tried to make it priority and it's been well worth it. I am very excited about the new vision our church has for some of these groups, now they are being called Missional Community Groups (MCG).

taken from our church website-
"
A Missional Community Group lives out the mission of God together in a specific area or to a particular people group. They demonstrate the Gospel in tangible forms and declare the Gospel to others. They enjoy the fruit of worship together, and seek to apply the Word to their lives."

"Simply put, these groups will go deeper in worship and go further in mission."  

There are 2 major changes:
  1. Now groups will be using the scripture and notes from the week's sermon as the subject matter of their study. The church is providing questions and prayer prompter's to guide the discussions. The church body will be united in what we are learning. Plus, studying it more than 1x will help us better apply it to our daily lives.
  2. The groups will also be looking outward. We will be asking the Lord how we can take part in his mission.
Here is what excites me:
  1. The mission of our new group is orphan care. An orphan care ministry had been meeting weekly for about a year and I could not be with them in body, but I was with them in prayer. It's just where my heart is these days. So the group just became a MCG and will also be doing the weekly study and EJ and I have joined them. I can't tell you how I have loved every minute so far. Just to be closer to those who are fostering or adopting or loving the fatherless in their own way.
  2. Last year, when I was struggling so much with chronic pain, I began to see the Bible in a new way. I used to think if I had a "problem" I should look up a word or two in the concordance of my Bible and study all the verses that applied. Out of desperation (sad,but true) I began to read the Bible more and more. As I did, God showed me that I can read any part of the Bible and find answers even when I am not looking for them. A verse that means something to my situation can also apply to someone else in an entirely different way. "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12
    With this new understanding, I am confident that when we study the scriptures from the sermon, He will use it to speak specifically to our mission even when we aren't searching for it. We have already seen this play out in the first few studies.
I can't wait to see how His word leads us.

My first "task" for the MCG was to design a t-shirt for our team to wear on Orphan Sunday, Nov 6th. They arrived today! I've been eager to see them. Designing on fabric is slightly different and a bit more restrictive than paper.

i was given the phrase "love on a mission" and then created this "logo" (with the help of my sis and EJ)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

So glad that you have this great group to study and serve with. And love the shirts!

Courtney Cassada said...

i love it! and i'm so excited about your group and your church's orphan sunday and your heart :-)

Jill said...

I am totally tracking with so much of what you shared and am so thankful that God has put us in this MCG too. Love the shirts!!