Sunday, October 16, 2011

5 Days, His Way - Thursday

Each day this week, I will post a small blurb about that day's Way. I would love any ideas or suggestions you might have for us. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Thursdays is tithing and money. I still don't know what Thursdays will look like. For the past several weeks we have talked and read (in the Bible) about money. Our five words are: trust, gratitude, saving, giving and contentment. No real activity has been established. Just some preparation for this week when the older 2 received their first allowance!?!?!
EJ was home early this Thursday to meet with a plumber about some basement problems :( 
It couldn't have been more perfect. He had extra time with the boys and did an amazing job introducing the boys to their new money jars. (Mason was not as excited as Owen)
EJ and I had some really great discussions leading us to this point. Mostly in the car on some of our most recent weekend trips. I enjoyed collaborating with him. 
I got the idea for making my own jars here. I just stumbled upon their blog doing a search for money jars. I found these sets of 3 jars with the bottom cardboard holder at a local craft store. Plastic jars proved to be a tad difficult to find. The boys helped paint the tray and I painted modge podge over the pain to hopefully make the cardboard stronger. The labels are attached with clear packing tape.

This has felt like a big thing. There are tons of ways to do allowance or not to do allowance. We aren't following a book or a theory. We just discussed what would be best for our family and pray that good things will come from it.

Owen has become increasingly interested in all things to do with money. Whether it be saving, or spending or recognizing when we spend money or save money, use coupons or wait for a sale, etc.

We want the boys to recognize that our money is not ultimately ours. God has given us everything we have, EJ and I truly believe that. And we want them to believe it too.

For now, they will be putting specific amounts (predetermined by us) of their allowance in each jar. Owen (surprisingly) had an easier time with this than Mason. We hope they eventually see the joy that comes from giving to others and tithing to the church. We want them to be cheerful givers. But we also realize we can't change their hearts. God must do that. For now, we as parents are instructing them. Someday we will step back and see what happens.

We have decided that their allowance is simply for being a part of our family. There is no direct correlation to chores. They aren't "earning" it per say. But as part of our family we all chip in and help. They are expected to do their chores and do them well. The way I see it, allowance is a tangible teaching tool in so many ways.

I am sure I will have more to share. I know we have opened a whole jar can of worms ;)

1 comment:

Peyton said...

love it! we have an elmo video called spending saving sharing that is sort of along those lines but without the God part :) I like your way better!