A few months ago EJ and I decided that we wanted to give Owen a "real" bible for his 7th birthday. Now that he is reading on his own it seemed about time for him to have his very own. Don't get me wrong, we LOVE, this Bible, but we wanted him to be able to learn the books of the bible, see individual verses in scripture, etc. (this picture was taken right after he opened it)
We also knew that he wasn't going to jump for joy when he opened it. We wrote a short note in the inside cover and included Psalm 199: 105, "Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path."
I prayed as I wrote the words and wrapped it up, because I wanted him to see it for the treasure that it truly is. Just as we expected he was initially disappointed. Baseball or football cards would have been more up his alley. But I think the note inside helped him understand and perhaps realize it was a special gift.
We read from it last night. This is the one we got. It was recommended to us. It does still have some pictures and stories featured. I think it's a good transition. He is definitely still enjoying the pictures.
Tonight when I went into their room to start the bed time routine, I found him thumbing through it's pages looking for where EJ left off last night. Be still my heart! And he carefully put it in his bedside table drawer to keep it safe.
Owen- Happy 7th Birthday! We love you so much. You have handled becoming a big (again) brother with much grace. Ryan adores you and lights up when you get home from school. You are doing great in school and are still nuts about sports! Mason spends most of his time trying to keep up with you on the ball field. If only you knew how much he looks up to you. Daddy and I enjoy cheering for you from the sidelines. You aren't our little boy anymore. Some days I catch myself just staring at your face in awe of how you've changed. We are blessed!
2 comments:
precious. what a gift you are giving him - pointing him to our Father!
Happy birthday Owen!!
Post a Comment