Wednesday, March 2, 2011

As for Me

Since September, I have had the privilege and blessing of studying the Psalms with some very seasoned and amazing Christian women each week at Wellspring, a woman's Bible Study. Most weeks they knock my socks off. Well, really it's the Lord's Spirit pouring out of them and His Word.

We were recently challenged by Psalm 16 and 73 to look more deeply at what it means that God is our portion. "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; You hold my lot. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; Surely I have a delightful inheritance." -Psalm 16:6

And so, as always, if I ask, He will answer.
From a wonderful devotional I've been reading, Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young, came the following words that summed up perfectly what He has been teaching me. "If you try to carry tomorrow's burdens today, you will stagger under the load and eventually fall flat. You must discipline yourself to live within the boundaries of today."
This really could apply to anything in life. Any worries or fears I have for the future. But for me, right now it's about my chronic pain. I must choose not to worry about tomorrow's pains. I must think only of today. Because if I don't the load only feels heavier, the pain greater than it really is. "Discipline" may sound harsh. But if you have a wandering mind like mine, you know how hard it is to tame. He is blessing my efforts. He has been faithful to remind me over and over that my portion is good, my inheritance is good. Instead of dwelling on my fears and pain I am choosing to look at His promises. His Word really is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path (Ps119.105).
And I am seeing just how sweet it is to be near to Him. "But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds." Psalm 73:28

"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own." Aslan, in The Horse and his Boy, by C.S.Lewis.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing this encouraging word!

the reppard crew said...

Love this . . . thank you, Ali! So grateful for the ways Jesus is meeting your needs. Thanks for sharing with us, too. I am adoring my time at Wspring, too. A real blessing in my life right now. See you tomorrow, I hope! xoxo

Courtney said...

LOVE this, ali.
beautiful.
thanks for sharing!
He IS carrying you! perfectly!