Monday, April 26, 2010

More Excitement

The day started out great. This was my first morning downstairs with the kids before Owen left for school. We were all so excited. Ryan even joined us.

I had to capture Mason's crazy morning eyes and hair.
If the hair tells all, he must have slept really good!

I took Ryan to the Dr. all by myself! EJ's mom arrived last night so she watched Mason. Then the day started going a little downhill. I had to take Ryan to a Lab to get his Bilirubin tested for Jaundice. The woman screwed up and had to draw blood twice. I came home in a panic. The Dr. also wants me supplementing after each feeding with formula. Formula breaks down bilirubin and breast milk does not. (We learned this with Owen) I had no idea if he would even drink it. But he chugged it down. What a blessing!
Here he is soaking up some sunshine.
At 5:10 this evening the Dr. office called to say his levels were high enough for medical attention and the home health agency would be coming by tonight with his photo therapy. Thankfully the nurse was AWESOME. She feels sure the woman at the Lab screwed up and said she thought he'd only need the lights for 24 hours. Another nurse will come by the house tomorrow morning to draw blood and we should know by tomorrow afternoon if his levels are dropping.
Here's our glow baby.
I am less panicked after the nurse came by tonight and now that I know he'll drink the formula. I feel terrible that I didn't get him checked earlier. It certainly doesn't help to beat myself up about it, but I can't help it.
Mim has been a good distraction for the older 2.
She came bearing "big brother" gifts.
And it's only Monday! At least the older 2 are feeling better.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

He doesn't even look that orange to me! ;) I'm sure his levels will be dropping soon. So glad that he drank the formula so easily!

Sarah said...

oh ali! so much is going on over there...i pray things calm down and you have a restful rest of the week...glad the older 2 feel better and you have such a handy husband! ryan is cute as a little glow worm...mallory was a glow baby too...mason is too cute peeking at his little bro! :) call me if you need anything!

Courtney said...

and i really thought he looked fine!!! hope it's over soon...


we never know what a day holds, do we??

good for you for embracing the blessings, too...like mim being there to watch mason!