Thursday, February 18, 2010

Real Neighbors

I am the first to admit I am not a good neighbor. We don't really do anything special for our neighbors aside from collecting their mail or newspaper if they ask. I wave and say "hi", but don't necessarily strike up a long conversation unless they initiate. We are by far the youngest family on the caul- de sac. Out of ten houses, we are the only ones with children living at home (unless you count the 30 something son, across the street who still lives at home). So we don't have a ton in common. Being neighbors with someone isn't like it use to be. It's very rare to have that kind of drop-in anytime or borrow an egg kind of relationship. If the weather isn't nice I don't even see these people.
In fact, most of them don't even know I am pregnant, much less on bed rest.
Since the fall, we have been slowly getting to know one of the couples. They are Christians and use to be very involved in their church's youth group when their girls were in high school. They love seeing and talking with our boys. Sadly, even they didn't know I was pregnant until about 5 weeks ago.
Now they are loving us!
The wife just called and asked if we needed dinner tonight. This would have been our 4th meal from them in 4 weeks. I told her we did have a friend coming with dinner (her second meal to help us) and so she offered to bring it tomorrow.
Right before her call, I was crying on the phone with EJ b/c Mason is not sleeping for his nap. It's very rare these days for him to sleep and very frustrating to deal with a tired and cranky toddler the rest of the day.
It doesn't take much to put me over the edge, and then I get her call.
Why do I even doubt this will work for another 5 weeks? Why am I so slow to trust and be okay with where God has me?

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry you're still having challenges with Mason's naptime. And I'm so glad your neighbors have joined the brigade caring for you through this time!!

Courtney said...

why do you doubt? because you literally have to trust Him completely every single minute. most of us go through our days mostly on our own strength...and fail miserably..but we think we can do it. you KNOW you can't right now...so you're feeling that dependence on Him in so much more of an intimate way. which is hard...but i pray good at the same time.

LOVE you and praying for you SO often!!