The advantages Owen has with his age, agility and coordination, Mason makes up for with pure determination. Watching this little guy keep up with his big brother is inspiring and often very comical. There is usually a lot of grunting, but he is almost always smiling and laughing.
Today for example, I was sitting on the front porch while they were eating a snack. Owen decided to climb the outside of the porch steps (the tiny space between the edge of the steps and the porch railings) while holding onto the railing. He did this was quick ease and then sat down in the 4 inches of space with the railings at his back. So of course, Mason had to try. After a very slow and shaky climb Mason made it to the top. Then he attempted to turn around and sit down (in the 4 inches of space). On the first attempt, he sat down but slide right off. In the second attempt, he managed to sit down, but dropped his bag of crackers on the ground. During the third attempt, I suggested he put the snack down, so of course he stepped on the crackers. Finally, after getting situated he sat proudly for about 5 seconds and then hopped down. The 3 of us were laughing the whole time, the kind of laughter that hurts your stomach, but feels so good at the same time.
I once heard Joe Paterno, the head coach of Penn State Football, say that some of his best players were the little brothers b/c they always fight harder. I totally believe it. I can't wait to see what is in store for this little guy. Although he won't be the little brother much longer :)
1 comment:
what a neat picture!
isn't it cool to watch how our kids are different??
so glad you all got outside a little bit!!!
Post a Comment