Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Glimpse

I remember while I was pregnant with Mason, wondering how I would possibly love him as much as I loved Owen. It didn't seem my heart could do it. And in an instant it happened. It was as if I had never gone a day not loving him. Well, yesterday, I had a short, but sweet glimpse of how much fuller my heart will feel when our baby boy joins our family. The moment itself was nothing special, but I guess God just knew I needed to feel it.

The boys were rocking out to "Life is a Highway" by the Rascal Flats on a YouTube Cars music video. (Owen has discovered that you can Google anything, scary isn't it?) And for just a moment I got tears in my eyes thinking that one day their brother will be joining them.

Yep, it was that simple, but I am so thankful. You see, the dreaded words have been spoken. "Bed rest" has already entered our world and much sooner than we ever imagined (24 weeks). Last week, 1/5 (the date is for my benefit) the Dr. told me to take it VERY EASY and at today's appt. she even mentioned hospitalization. But after an ultrasound and a surprisingly good report from the ultrasound doctor, she agreed to send me home. I never thought I'd be happy to hear "moderate bed rest" but I was. At least for today, ask me again in 2 days and I may have forgotten. The Dr is calling it strict bed rest, but I mentioned a few activities and she agreed to them, so EJ and I are calling it moderate ;) I did very little last week and if I can do just a little less, I think we can postpone strict bed rest for a little while. Strict versus moderate means I can be home by myself with Mason without constant help. We will need tons of help b/c I can't make it all day, but at least there are windows I can do.

And that is why I am so thankful for a glimpse of the love I already have for this baby boy. This road (3 months) is going to be long and hard and I needed to be reminded exactly why it's worth it. Tomorrow will be another story, as I will worry about the logistics, but for now we are just thankful for the small blessings.

Oh, if you don't know any of my prenatal history (I was on bed rest for short lengths with each child) there is nothing wrong with the baby. He is FINE, chunky actually and measuring almost 2 weeks bigger (another praise). It is me, my body for some reason, can not handle the pressure and it starts progressing towards labor much too early. So the bed rest will hopefully limit the pressure and keep this baby inside.

This blog may start to get real boring as my view from the couch may not capture many great pictures. Or as I suspect, I will learn so much from this hardship and hopefully be able to encourage someone else!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm so glad that you received a decent report from the doctor, and such encouragement from the Lord! This baby boy is blessed!

Sarah said...

i love thinking of your 3 boys rocking out! they are so lucky to have you for a momma! :)

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing...the encouragement and what your heart is feeling! praying for you a LOT! and certain that He is with you...every moment...

Catherine said...

wow, so sorry to hear that you're already having to think/plan for bed rest. Continuing to pray for a healthy pregnancy and that your little one would keep on growing for a while! And your blog will never be boring, even while on bed rest :)

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

Let me know if you want me to come pick Mason up some afternoon. We have an extra carseat.