Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lessons of Praise

Psalm 63: 3-4
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
    my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
    in your name I will lift up my hands.

 
A LONG time ago, after my freshman year of college (when I first began learning how to walk closely with God) I decided to practice the "art" of thankfulness. Each day, I wrote down in a journal a few things for which I was thankful. It was not easy. I felt ashamed. Life was good and my list was not very deep and did not come quickly. The LORD was gracious to open my eyes. By the end of the summer my daily lists were long. I was no longer thankful for "stuff" but for things he was showing me about Himself.
I will never forget the lesson he taught me that summer: being thankful does not come naturally to our sinful hearts, it takes work and it's so worth it. Perhaps that is why the Bible is always reminding us to "give thanks."
Something else that does not come naturally is "praising God." I don't mean the singing kind, although that is awesome too!

This summer, I decided I'd like to "teach" my kids to praise God (if that can even be done). I want no credit for this idea. It was all HIM. I have not been daily reading my Bible and my whole family has been affected. God has been more than gracious to lead me in this endeavor. I have NOT given much time, if any, to the verse I pick each morning. Perhaps because the whole Bible is one big praise ;) so it's pretty easy.
Each morning after I clean up from breakfast, we sit/stand together. It's not pretty, there is complaining and plenty of distractions. Avery is usually creating havoc. Ryan colors and listens to our conversation. I keep thinking if we do this enough times it will get easier so I press on. This is geared towards the 2 older two, who can write. (I could do it during nap time, but Ryan does listen and often answers my questions even better than the older 2).

We are reading from the Psalms. I usually only read a few verses. I choose 1 of those verses for them to record in their journals (we started at the beginning of the summer). I ask them a few questions and then we end by summarize the specific thing we are praising God for that morning. I had hoped they'd be eager to draw or record other praises but this hasn't happened.

My kids have learned more about God Himself and I have been reminded that He can do a lot with a little. I don't need to be afraid to offer up something little, He can always do big things! I can't speak for their hearts, but He has encouraged mine immensely. I would love if songs of praise came quickly from our lips, but our hearts are where it will come from first. "For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45 I have to trust Him to be at work in their hearts (my heart). Easier said than done!