Friday, November 11, 2011

Thy mercy, the theme of my week

I spent the beginning of the week extra burdened for the orphan, the middle of the week condemning myself for how I was too preoccupied to care for my own boys, the end of the week feeling sorry for myself (I think I am fighting the boys' colds).
And all the while God was revealing to me more pieces to the puzzle of HIS MERCY. How after 14 years can feel as though I am just scratching the surface? Oh right, it's God I am talking about.
I hope to share more of the mercy I've seen, but I am not quite ready to put it into words. It's going to take more processing. And this was not a week for much processing.

Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song
1. Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart, and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections and bound my soul fast.

2. Without thy sweet mercy I could not live here,
Sin soon would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And he that first made me still keeps me alive.

3. Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart,
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart;
Dissolv'd by thy goodness I fall to the ground,
And weep to the praise of the mercy I found.

4. The door of thy mercy stands open all day,
To the poor and the needy who knock by the way;
No sinner shall ever be empty sent back,
Who comes seeking mercy for Jesus's sake.

5. Thy mercy in Jesus exempts me from hell;
Its glories I'll sing, and its wonders I'll tell;
'Twas Jesus, my friend, when he hung on the tree,
Who open'd the channel of mercy to me.

6. Great Father of mercies, thy goodness I own,
And the covenant love of thy crucified Son;
All praise to the Spirit, whose whisper divine,
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Thanks for sharing this song. It's just what I needed to hear and need to meditate on. I love all the verses, but verse two really struck me. Praying that your weekend allowed time to process more of the mercy God is revealing to you.