Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where Are You?

"Where are You?" Genesis 3:9
God's words to Adam and Eve in the garden right after this...

"she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.  Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths." Genesis 3:6-7

They were hiding b/c they were naked.
I always assumed they were hiding b/c they were afraid of their punishment which God had said would be death. Genesis 2:17
I assumed that their awareness of their nakedness was a consequence of the shame they felt from having sinned against God.

But now I am not so sure. Could they have really been that preoccupied about their appearance, about themselves?
The first thing they realize is they are naked.
The first thing they do is make clothing.
The first answer to God, "... I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself." 3:10

Adam and Eve were so quickly changed by the eating of the fruit. Their eyes no longer saw God, but only themselves.

How often do I wish I could for a few moments take my eyes off myself! And now I am beginning to understand. It was an automatic shift that occurred in the disobedience of Adam and Eve in the garden.

The God of the universe, who formed this man and woman, who breathed life into their nostrils, obviously knew what they look like naked. Yet they were still hiding. They were not hiding b/c they were afraid of being punished. It was because they were naked. I don't think they could see beyond themselves.

Often we study the written curses that God places on the serpent, Adam and Eve Genesis 3:14-20. But I am beginning to see a curse I had not noticed before. The inability to take our eyes of our self and our situation. Thereby completely missing what God is doing and has done.

God knew where they were. And yet, He draws them out. God is a pursuer. He does not give up. His death on the cross is the most dramatic example of his pursuit.



God graciously does not leave us in hiding. He calls out to us. "Where are you?" He draws us out. He helps us to confess our sins. Helps us to see He is STILL there. "...but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:7-9


It could be a physical place where we are hiding. But I'd like to assume it can mean a spiritual or emotional place as well.

Do I hide from the one who knitted me in my mother's womb? Psalm 139:13

1O LORD, you have searched me and known me!  
2You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
   you discern my thoughts from afar.
3You search out my path and my lying down
   and are acquainted with all my ways.
4Even before a word is on my tongue,
   behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
5You hem me in, behind and before,
   and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
   it is high; I cannot attain it. Psalm 139:1-6

If I don't know where I am. Which is often the case. He promises to know. 
Am I asking Him to join me and draw me out? Or am I continuing to hide?

I am not sure where I am this week. Other than in a very messy house! But I can rest in these truths. He knows exactly where I am. He can get through to me even when I keep hiding behind my calendar, chore list and my family affairs.

The Orphan Sunday to-do list (for me) is done. Now I must pray that God removes the wall folks put up when they hear the word Orphan. And pray that I don't hide behind "duties" and am able to hear him calling out to me too. (9 a.m. fellowship hall, if you are local, don't miss it)

No comments: