Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A New Song

I have been experiencing something pretty cool lately. It might sound hokie to some, but it is encouraging me a lot. When I told EJ last night, I thought he might laugh. And then today, I was thinking about it again and it hit me. I ran to my Psalms study to look up the reference. I have been coming back to my study a lot lately. Perhaps I should start memorizing some of them ;)


"I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put at new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear 
and put their trust in the LORD."
 Psalm 40:1-3

Recently and only a small number of times, when I have been praying for a friend, a worship song enters my mind. It feels like a response to my prayers. "He turned to me and heard my cry" (verse 1) It is comforting, the Holy Spirit feels closer.


It's not a song that I have recently heard that is just stuck replaying in my mind. It is a song that totally pertains to the person's situation, at least from my perspective. I take this to be from the Holy Spirit. How else would I have thought of that particular song? -"He put at a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God" (verse 3) 
After all, Jesus intercedes for us. We don't always know how to pray, but He does. The song helps remind me of Truths about God and thereby "He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand"  (verse 2) His word is the only firm place.

So after mulling the song over in my head and aligning my prayers with His (words from the song), I share the song with the friend I was praying for. Hoping first, that they don't think I am ridiculous and second that they can be just as encouraged as I was. Don't you love my priorities?
In the past, I assumed the verse "He put at new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God" was just a metaphor for adjusting my attitude or thoughts to align with His word. Which He does too. But now He has actually been putting a new song in my mouth. And by sharing it with another (via email, not actually singing it to them ;) we both "see and fear and trust in the Lord" (verse 3).



God has been so generous to me yet again.