Monday, May 30, 2011

Captain Mason's Pirate Party

 My handyman husband helped me recreate this dreamboat.
He used an old rake handle and a wooden rod we had in the basement.
He screwed the mast into an old t.v. base. It was just sitting on the buffet ship :)
The sail is a small drop cloth and I painted the "m" with fabric paint.
The flag is construction paper with a skull and swords I printed from clip art.
 The boys and I made some fish and sharks.
We served sailboat hotdogs, pizza bites, grapes, gold fish and blue jell-o.

and cake of course
 
I got the recipe here. The cake layers did not stay together like they were supposed too.
The rolos candy, "pirates booty," is actually hiding a huge crack.
The cake starting breaking in half. We had to serve it quick :)
I chose this cake because I loved the canon candles shooting out the sides.
The kids loved it.
A pirate party must have a treasure hunt, of course!
I hid four picture clues around in the yard.
The boys kept leaving the girls in the dust. We tried to have them take turns. 
We might be done having coed parties. 
Being a mom of 3 boys, I worried far too much about the little girls. 
It was stressful for me.
 
At the end a "buried" treasure box
with chocolate gold coins, ring pops and beaded necklaces.
The pirates walked the plank

even the youngest one
they fished


I dressed up too. It was totally last minute and Mason was thrilled :) 
I think I might just keep the outfit if I need a costume in the future.
 
I need to work on my mean face ;)
Mason had fun. It was certainly much different than Ryan's party.
A lot less prep work, but a lot more energy needed during the party.
Phew! EJ and I relaxed on our porch with margaritas after the kids were in bed :)

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I love all your creative ideas! I'll be getting some inspiration for future birthday parties from you.

Michelle said...

So fun! I need to hire you out for my kids' parties!

Elizabeth Johnson Phillips said...

Super cute! You need to set up a shop on Etsy to design birthday invites. You could upload that pirate one you've already done and then just personalize it and email the buyer the jpeg for them to print at home!