Thursday, July 1, 2010

Week 2 of Summer

We've almost completed week 2 of summer vacation. I've been meaning to post about how it's going and I haven't found the time. I've been trying to spend less time on the computer and more time with my boys.

So far it's going great! Far better than I imagined. I am exhausted by the end of each day, but so thankful for a full night of rest and God's grace to help me do it all over again the next day.
I am so thankful that Ryan is in such an easier place (eating less often and sleeping well), thankful that I have physically healed and that I am gaining more endurance and energy each week b/c I need it. God's timing is perfect!

I have been giving it all I've got and I pray that I can keep the pace. I want to make the most of our time together.
One of my favorite parts of the day has been "school time." Each morning during Ryan's nap Owen, Mason and I sit down and discover new things together. I discover things about each of them and they learn/review school "stuff." We only work for 15 or 20 minutes, so it really doesn't take much planning. I have a general idea of what I want to do and can quickly gather it together right before we start. Owen's teacher provided some workbooks that have been helpful.
With Owen we've been rotating between math, reading, writing and science. Yesterday, I priced several plastic toy food items and he had to figure out the correct change to "buy" them. He loves math especially if money is involved. He loved this. I hope to throw in a few art projects too.
Mason is learning his colors which is proving more difficult than I imagined. Owen was really slow at this too. We are doing 1 color a week. By day 4 he finally started consistently identifying red correctly. I was beginning to wonder if he was color blind. His school time is mostly fun and games. This week is the color blue. (serious stuff :)
I've enjoyed sitting down with them and giving them my undivided attention. It doesn't happen as much as I'd like.

We've got a lot more going on, but I'll save it for another post. I don't want to bore you too much.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

what the heck is THAT comment about?? weird!

so glad your summer is going so well! sometimes i think that anticipation of a new change in routine is worse than the actual thing! can't WAIT to see you!!!!