In 2012, I did this for the days leading up to Valentine's Day. I look back at that post and think, who is this woman? Will she ever come back? Has 4 kids completely done her in, for good :)
(2013 we all were recovering from the stomach flu).
This year was low key, but with some planning involved.
The snow kept the kids home from school. We had nice breakfast together after opening their valentines from us and EJ's mom. Avery popped her lollipop in her mouth before the boy's even saw theirs.
My mom came over for awhile during the day. I was able to run an errand by myself and she treated us to pizza for lunch :) I also painted in the basement for awhile.
The day quickly went down hill from there. It was not pretty. While I was prepping for our fun surprise dessert and making dinner the kids were arguing, fighting and one took a frightening fall.
NO ONE was loving anyone but their self, there were lots of tears and shouting. Needless to say, I was very frazzled when EJ came home and I was ready to cancel the whole thing.
Thankfully God kept whispering reminders of his love and grace for me and my children. It was very apparent we desperately needed Him. Funny, how a hallmark holiday pointed me so much to the cross. I thanked Him for his mercies and kept pushing on. I also decided right then, that I would read the story of Jesus' crucifixion at bedtime. We all needed a reminder of TRUE LOVE.
Dinner was great and the kid's really enjoyed dessert. It was all worth it (I think).
I think she thought she'd died and gone to heaven.
I choose to put Mason and Ryan to bed that night and we read from The Jesus Storybook Bible. The boys were a little confused by my reading of the "Easter" story. My decision was confirmed when we read this part,
"If you are really the Son of God,
you could just climb down off that cross!' [the crowd] said.
And of course they were right...
But Jesus stayed.
You see, they didn't understand.
It wasn't the nails that kept Jesus there. It was love."
I can think of no greater love to celebrate on Valentine's day!






2 comments:
You have no idea how this post, and your email ;), encouraged my heart. I'm so thankful for how God is whispering His love to you and thankful that you share it with us.
His love is the only one worth focusing on. i love that He reminded you of that!
Post a Comment