Friday, September 14, 2012

His Refuge

Week 2 of school has come to an end. The verdict is still out. Some mornings are more of a struggle than others. Overall his mood swings are not nearly as bad as last week. I wish he would sleep a little more, but I have always wished that. He just doesn't "require" as much as Owen does. Some day that will be a blessing I am sure ;)
He comes home every afternoon and heads straight up to his room where his beloved LEGOS await. I have always sensed they were a source of comfort for him, but not it is very obvious. Quite frankly it's perfect for me. I spend some time getting Owen settled and started on his homework. Then I sneak upstairs to ask Mason about his day. Usually by then he is ready to talk. I don't stay too long b/c he loves to be at work alone. He has spent nearly every afternoon in his room despite the beautiful weather. Sometimes up to 2.5 hrs! Owen calls him a "Lego potato" instead of couch potato.
He has started building furniture. It's really cool and pretty amazing at the details. He built a bunk bed, dresser, shower, potty, grill, refrigerator. Most of the ideas come from this book. The book doesn't give building instructions just completed design ideas. He comes up with the pieces all by himself.
Thankfully he has not had any homework. This was not the case for Owen's KG class. I am SO thankful b/c he clearly needs this time. It will start eventually, but for now we are counting our blessings.
He is doing well in class. No problems according to his teacher. His favorite part is rest time?!?! Somehow my extremely friendly, outgoing son is also a hermit who needs his peace and quiet. Go figure.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

i just recently heard about that book! i think it might need to be a christmas present. for 1 of my 4 boys :-)

so glad he's doing ok! and that he can find what he needs to regroup!