Monday, January 30, 2012

A Day with Owen

Owen was home from school today for a teacher workday. He LOVED that Mason still had school :) It was funny how often he looked at the clock and figured out the minutes until we left to go back for Mason. I am not sure if he was grateful for each minute longer or if he missed Mason or if it was excitement about eating out for lunch after we picked up Mason.
He told me last night at bedtime that he wanted to clean out his closet today. Be still my heart! The boy is so much like me, it's scary. I love to organize when I have a "free" day (b/c I have so many).
It was so nice not to have to rush through our morning!
Owen and I spent a good portion of our morning in their room. We weeded out a lot of toys and books they have outgrown and we reorganized the toys that made the cut :) The legos and football card collections have new homes. Nothing fancy.
I was able to vacuum under the beds and dressers and in all the nooks and crannies. They could really use a new bookshelf. Our current one is falling apart. I would also like to get some wall shelves to display their "treasures" out of reach :)
Overall it looks amazing. Owen was so excited to show Mason.
We had a great lunch date just the 4 of us. With real conversation. On the way to lunch we passed a man holding a sign saying "hungry." Owen suggested we buy him a hamburger but then was afraid we'd get the wrong toppings ;). So instead, we bought a small gift card to the grocery store near his location. In the parking lot of the grocery store I prayed for him, that he'd be blessed by the card, that he'd spend it wisely and that God would provide all he needed. I wasn't sure how I'd physically get the card to him at the intersection, but it was easy. We don't ordinarly stop for strangers begging on the street. The boys have grown used to it in fact. But I always have such mixed emotions just  driving past them. Not sure why today was different. The boys have not stopped talking about it and Owen prayed for him again tonight. Only the Lord knows if he truly needed it, but based on the conversations we've had today, it doesn't matter. Even if his heart wasn't blessed, ours were.
Oh and a perfect starting point for Mission-Minded Monday!

There was also plenty of bickering and fighting and unkind words shared between brothers today. Don't want to leave you with the wrong impression ;)

3 comments:

Jill said...

So glad you had a good day with Owen and I love that he loves organizing like you! Luke and I are similar in that way too. A friend shared this link with me after my post on being skeptical about what to do for the homeless. I'm hoping to put together some of these blessing bags soon. I love your idea to get a gift card to a grocery store. Definitely something I can add to my bag. http://kwavs.blogspot.com/2011/05/blessing-bags-how-to.html

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you had a good day together! Cleaning with your firstborn....what could be better! :) And so glad that you were all blessed by your gift to the man on the street.

Courtney said...

wow...what a gift when opportunities like that work out so well! EVERYONE was blessed!