Monday, July 18, 2011

Just the Beginning

Before I get to more pictures from our trip. I must share the craziness that was our first full day in Nags Head. All 5 of us were sharing a room for the week. Thankfully Ryan's pack n play fit in the bathroom and there was a powder room nearby we could use if he was asleep. Owen was up first as usual. He and I sneaked out and joined my parents for a bike ride. I didn't even tell EJ where I was going. Fortunately mom had her phone.

It was a great morning for a ride. The jogging/bike path began directly across the street from our house. Owen took off. I am not sure how far we rode but it was farther than usual b/c we didn't have Mason in tow. About 15 minutes down the road we turned around to head back to the house. Owen was in front, I was second, then mom and dad. I rode around a jogger and through a slight mist from a sprinkler. A few seconds later I heard mom scream. I was really hoping she was just surprised by the sprinkler. Turns out the jogger I had just passed tried to "jump" out of the way of the sprinkler cutting mom off. Mom and her bike crashed into the young woman. The woman was fine, but my mom was not. Thankfully she fell mostly on grass or it would have been far worse.

She knew something was definitely wrong with her upper left arm or shoulder. Dad rushed to the house to get the car and I stayed with mom and Owen and waited. And waited. And waited. Okay, so it wasn't that long, but it felt like forever. My mom was being so stoic that it made me even more nervous. So many people stopped and asked if they could help. I was afraid she was going to pass out. All the while I was praying that my American Red Cross (expired) certification training would come back to me if needed. Fortunately that wasn't the case.

Dad came back with the car and she managed to get inside. They left me and Owen with 3 bikes and no cell phone (oops). Supposedly my sister was on her way to get me, but I couldn't just sit around. I started walking (what took 15 minutes by bike) with both mom's bike and my bike. As I walked, I wrestled with God about why my mom had fallen of her bike and injured herself on the first day of vacation. Couldn't she just have a week to relax and enjoy herself?

He was quick to remind me that nothing is out of His control. He would be with my mom and us. I can't remember now what song came to mind, but he did give me a new one. I had words from Him and not my anger.

Lissa did find me, but not until the house was in sight. I got plenty of exercise that day!

The ER x rays and Dr. confirmed a fracture in the humerus bone (upper arm below the shoulder). She was put in a miserable special sling to keep her arm from moving. Thankfully no surgery was needed.

By 10:30 she was back at the beach house ready to collapse from pain meds.

My mom is amazing. I know she complained in her head and probably to my dad but we never heard her complain! She has an incredibly high pain tolerance and was such a trooper. I know as her child I am not privy to all of who she is as a person. She is my mom. There are just somethings a child doesn't see in their parents. I am trying, but I am also still the kid. I know my kids miss out on a lot about me. Most of the time that is a good thing. Now, that I am an adult, a mother myself, it seems like I should see her differently.

She doesn't like being taken care of. I got to remind her how long I was on the couch and she cared for me :) She didn't sit back long. Her occupational therapist skills are already kicking in. Thankfully she is right handed, but having 2 arms really is very very helpful.

I have a lot to learn from my mom. She is an incredibly strong woman. But so humble you'd never know it.

I know this week (summer) won't have the memories she expected. But I am glad that she didn't have to take care of us for a change. She can be served this time! I love you mom! You are a ROCK star. I can't wait to see how dad is styling your hair now that I am off duty ;)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, I'm so sorry she got hurt, but thankful that you were together to care for her! And I can't believe all 5 of you shared a room!

Megan said...

What a bummer about your mom's arm on the first day of vacation. God must have something important to teach her!