Yesterday, when the older 2 and I were sitting down for our school/journal time, Owen yelped in pain. It was as though he had sat on something sharp. But there were no signs of an injury. He couldn't explain what was wrong but was crying out in pain. He doesn't cry very often. I looked around him and in the chair and saw nothing.
After a few minutes a sting mark appeared. He had been stung by a bee!! I found and killed the yellow jacket a few minutes later. Thank goodness b/c I wasn't sure we'd get any further in our lessons with 2 nervous boys looking for a bee.
Right now a bug "master" (Mason's name for him) is outside our front door hopefully killing all the bee's family members that have made a home in between the siding and our house. No yelps yet.
God's timing is always perfect. I can say that because it's written in the Bible, not because I am consistently acting as though I believe it. Thankfully, He has proven it over and over.
The word lesson yesterday was gratitude. "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18
Owen immediately said, "except when you get stung by a bee!"
What an open door :)
I looked him in the eye and said, "yes, Owen even when you get stung by a bee."
This got the attention of both Mason and Owen.
I said, "Do you think God knew you were going to be stung today? This was not out of his plan for you. what has Christ done for us that we should be grateful for? He died for us that we could be with God in Heaven. So even when things don't feel good for us, we still can be grateful."
I loved this prayer included in the book. It was good for me too.
"O Lord, I ask that you would give me a grateful heart. Too often I accept your blessings as thought I deserve them, and complain about what I don't have. You have given the greatest gift of all - Jesus Christ. Please help me to be truly grateful."
I feel very certain Owen will always remember his first bee sting. Now, I pray that in addition to that sting he will remember an even greater story. Sure it's easy to be grateful and joyful in response to good things, but remembering what we have in Christ allows us to be grateful even when we are enduring pain. A lesson that I am forever grateful I learned this past year!
No comments:
Post a Comment