I remember our first beach trip when Owen was about 3 months old. It was a shocker. I hadn't had the foresight to see how different vacation would be with children. I don't really call it vacation anymore- it is simply, life in a different location. Thankfully, my expectations have adjusted and I do still enjoy myself regardless of all my mom duties. Of course, some of them were occasionally split amongst the other 14 adults!
I have also grown wiser in how to take time for myself. It has to be intentional or it doesn't happen.
This vacation, I dwelled, I sat in His Word and it was Sweet!
Each morning when Ryan went down for his morning nap I escaped (in my bathing suit and sunscreen) to the deck with my bible, summer study and pencil. It was magnificent to bask in the morning sun and His word. The first morning this happened by accident. The older boys were off doing something and I snuck out. I enjoyed myself so much that it became cartoon time for the older two, so EJ and I could both have some quiet time.
Now if only I could work out that arrangement at home. My neighbors would think I was nutty for sunbathing at 9 in the morning :)
The word "dwelling" has been an ongoing theme in my bible studies lately: "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Psalm 91:1, "Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations." Psalm 90:1, "How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty! psalm 84:1, "Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6.
I have been pondering a lot on what it looks like to dwell in the Lord. Ironically, the act of pondering leads me to dwell. He is quick to answer :)
According to merriam-webster.com the definitions for dwell are:
- to remain for a time
- a: to live as a resident b : exist, lie
- a: to keep the attention directed —used with on or upon b : to speak or write insistently —used with on or upon
I don't love all of the author's questions. Plus, I don't love just reading aloud questions that everyone has (hopefully) already answered. So, I am learning to trust in what He is teaching me and not be afraid to share it. I am trying to take it a little further than the book.
Have you ever paid much attention to someone's shadow? Well, Mason loves to jump on my (shadow) head. He has to be very close to my body. My shadow doesn't extend that far. He has to be near. It's also very hard for me to move my shadow to escape his jumping on it.
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty" His shadow is far greater than mine, He is the Almighty! He has got me covered, but it is no coincidence that the closer I draw to Him the more rest I feel. His shadow might cover a lot, but I still have to be near.
1 comment:
LOVE this. i love that you made that time.
i was going to suggest we alter our beach schedule...and all do that. but our 2 new ones don't know how to sit. so, maybe we'll just take your boys with us to the beach and you can come later! :-)
Post a Comment