EJ and I started dating in collage, my junior year, his senior year. After he graduated he moved to Richmond and we dated long distance while I finished school.
I don't recall having a specific checklist of qualities I was looking for in a husband, but I am sure I was measuring him to some ideal in my head. As if a 20 year old really knows what qualities make a great husband or that any of us can see into the future.
Well, I do know that it never crossed my mind about the type of father he would make. That was too far in the future. I didn't really notice babies and children until after our honeymoon. I actually remember coming home from our honeymoon and no longer looking at other girls engagement or wedding rings, but instead for pregnant bellies or babies. I remember being frightened by this new curiosity.
Three and a half years later Owen was born. It was not until this very moment that I knew what kind of parent EJ would be. He did not disappoint. In fact, I was a bit jealous b/c he handled it much more gracefully than I did. He didn't seem nervous (although I knew he was) and he just took everything in stride. He is extremely patient, very encouraging and a natural teacher. It has been exciting to watch EJ evolve into the father he is now, 6 years later.
I mention all of this b/c I am in awe of the husband and father he has been these past 11 weeks. I don't think there are words to describe what a wonderful job he has done or enough words to thank him. He has constantly challenged me to look at the positives about our situation. He never complained about the extra work load, exhaustion and lack of time for himself. He was satisfied with the little bit I could do to help and not on the other 90% he was doing.
As I gradually increase my work load. He is noticing and is so grateful. It feels good to be more of a team again.
From this day forward, I will remember how well he has cared for us. This kind of love can only come from someone who knows they are loved by Jesus. He could not have done this on his on strength. I only pray that my boys and family members will recognize this love too.
We can't love each other with our own love, it isn't good enough, we will disappoint or be disappointed. We must love as a response to God's love for us. God is our the example.
This is how I knew I wanted to marry EJ. How I knew he would make a great husband. Not because of a checklist, but because one day on the quad of JMU, I realized he got it. He knew how much God loved him. God's love for him was enough. And that was enough for me.
I guess giving EJ a third son is a pretty big thank you, but somehow this doesn't seem enough.
EJ, I love you! Thank you!
5 comments:
I'm teary.
What a wonderful thank you! I'm so grateful he's taken such good care of you and your family during this time!
totally teary. what a sweet post. you should print this out for baby boy #3's baby book/box!
ej is such a GREAT example of a loving husband for your boys to watch...
that EJ is SO Whipped!
Kidding...you are a good man Giuseppe!
Post a Comment