While Yangcai was staying with us he worked on a model airplane. It was something he told us he liked to do. We had no experience purchasing one and honestly I think it was too difficult. He and I worked on it together for small amounts of time and then one Saturday, EJ and him did the bulk of the body. After that Yangcai felt comfortable working on it by himself. There were so many moments that I wished with all my heart I could understand Mandarin. The constant charades was exhausting for both of us, although I am amazed at how well we learned to read each other. That's very important to me as a mom. Ideally I like to read their minds ;)
He only wanted to do things perfectly and I wanted him just to try his best. Hopefully we both learned from each other.
By the 4th week, YC was ready to step onto the "court." Our oldest is not the most approachable and sports are his love language, so it was difficult for YC to build a relationship. They both put forth effort occasionally and I was proud of them for doing so.He loves to vacuum, or use any electronic device. Ha! So I put him to good use. We both were disgusted by the van's condition.
One of his favorite routines was riding our electric scooter or a borrowed bike to the bus stop for Mason and Ryan. On this day he pulled out of his pockets packs of fruit snacks we had just bought at the grocery store. One for each of them :)
Will wonders ever cease. These two worked along side each other to help make Zucchini quiche for dinner. These two weren't the easiest dynamic, but I saw amazing changes in both of them over the 4 weeks.
Our family was gifted circus tickets and it was the perfect ending to our 5-ring circus, of a month.
He and I went to at least 6 different playgrounds. Praise the Lord for such beautiful spring weather!
He helped me pick out photos to have printed and we put together an album for him to take back. I didn't realize how special he considered it until we got to the hotel lobby and he immediately showed it to the chaperones and his friends.
Saying goodbye to friends after an intense 4 weeks was SAD.
Ryan wears his heart on his sleeve and YC accepted his love. Precious!
Right before he and I departed for the airport hotel.
He and I rode with other host parents and Ji Te to a hotel near their airport. I was thankful for the company bc both YC and I were pretty solemn. When we arrived to the hotel we were able to spend time with several other host kids and families. It was fun hearing YC talke nonstop in Mandarin. They were all eager to share about their experiences and probably make fun of their host families.
We needed to be at the airport the next morning by 4:30 AM. UGH! YC was up raring to go at 3 AM. I don't think he trusted my 2 alarm clocks. I embraced the last minutes we would share and rose (literally) to the occasion. We stared at each other while he slurped his cup of noodles and then we joined his traveling companions.
He is such a brave boy. At the airport he immediately stepped in to help whether it was with luggage, or herding children. I wish I could have known him longer and have no real plan for future communication.
Behind those big brown eyes, I saw love and sadness as we said our final goodbyes, eventhough he has learned (likely through neglect) to suppress his emotions. So painful to witness and yet a privilege to know this boy. He will be missed! Please pray his forever family finds him SOON!













No comments:
Post a Comment