Monday, October 7, 2013

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words...

well, I don't actually have a thousand words yet, but The Lord is doing a great work in Avery and me and someday soon, I will easily have 1000 words to describe my daughter.
To everyone else this is a normal photo and not a very good one at that. It wouldn't win any awards for technique, composition or lighting. But to me, it's an amazing picture of Avery's old self and new self merging together.

First, she is sitting ON the grass. Her bare legs are touching the grass and she is not bothered. This may not seem like a big deal, but it's a reminder to me of the rapid changes we are witnessing daily.

Second, she is "W" sitting. It make the "daughter of an OT" in me, cringe each time. Her old self, but even in that we are seeing change. Her legs are much more relaxed and she doesn't always sit like that anymore.

Third, she is staring at the sun. Ever since our camping trip, she looks for the moon, but since she rarely sees it she is content to watch the sun. She really looks at the sun and not in a "hope I am getting tanner way", like her mother ;) I can't help but wonder how much exposure she really had outdoors. Not to mention the pollution doesn't allow for a clear view of the beautiful sky.

Fourth, her hands, they play with her shirt. It's a self-soothing mechanism for her. She does it when she is tired. She also does it when she is bored. Her first thought isn't to find a toy, it's to find her shirt. Something she likely always had with her, unlike a lovie or a toy.

Lastly, you can't see it very well, but she curls her tongue and slightly puckers her lips. Another self-soothing mechanism, mostly seen when she is tired.

While we were waiting for Avery to come home, one of my biggest fears was not being able to "read" her. I know there are plenty of discoveries still yet to come, for which I gladly welcome, but I can't help but be amazed at how quickly God has given me eyes to see my daughter. I understand and even anticipate her facial expressions, for which there are many. There is always a hint of sadness in my discoveries, but I don't allow myself to stay there long. These emotions will come and go and sometimes they bring me to tears, but more often they remind me of God's pursuing love. She is here now and that's all that matters.

403 words, pretty good start ;)

3 comments:

Jill said...

lovely! This makes my heart so thankful.

Courtney said...

what a beautiful post!!

Peter and Ellen Burke said...

you analize like a psych major.