Thursday, December 22, 2011

Wrapping Up

The pastor of our church has been truly blessing his congregation this advent season by his series on "waiting". I assume it's for this reason, that I have felt this year, more than ever the anticipation for Christmas. It's not excited anticipation that has my children out of sorts. It's different and I can't quite put my finger on it. I guess as I get older and more mindful of the world's hurts it makes waiting for His second coming harder.
I have been asking myself if I am living as if I am waiting for eternity with God. Do I really get what life is about? I am realizing more and more how the blinders of sin keep me from seeing. I am, we are, missing out on so much.
"we live by faith, not by sight" 2 Cor 5:7. I used to assume it required faith because we aren't capable of truly understanding. But now I am wondering if it's also because we can't really "see." Like physically see. 
John 11:40 says, 'Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"'
The more I believe, the more I am seeing. It's altogether wonderful and lovely and heartbreaking.

Waiting for gifts has been really hard for Mason this year. He has a lot of his mama in him. I used to search and snoop and pull back tape. It drove my sister nuts. It's hard convincing him that the waiting is good for him. It will be worth the wait. "seeing too early" doesn't really feel as good as you think it will.

It is hard to wait. And sometimes when we are waiting in a hard place it tends to make the outcome all the more wonderful. If life was easy Heaven wouldn't sound so good. It's good to long for it. It's good to have reason to long for it.

The boys each did their Christmas shopping for the members of our immediate family. They used money from their "spending" jars. They each put really good thought into what they would get. There was also no concern for their spending jars getting low. So far the allowance and jars has been a good thing. Mim was gracious and patient enough to take them to buy presents for EJ and me. If only I could have been a fly on the wall. I can't wait to see my treasure :)
I have also realized that a person has to learn how to wrap a present. Ha! It's so second nature to me.

The "holy night" banner in the background of their pictures was the craft project I was hoping to get to and did. I love it! Silent night didn't seem appropriate in a house with 3 boys ;) Although we are far from holy! Ha. 
Praying it turns our eyes where we need them to be. Not on our wrapped gifts but on The GREATEST GIFT ever.

Oh and my wrapping is almost done. Good thing b/c I am a crazy person who insists on making this cake in Southern Living. It just looks too yummy not to. I know I am going to hate myself for it.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

"sometimes when we are waiting in a hard place it tends to make the outcome all the more wonderful"

i loved that! i've lived that this year! the wait...the outcome...yes. GLORY!

Leah said...

WOW. Great post Ali! :)

That cake! You HAVE to take a picture of the mess while creating it AND the finished product.

Jill said...

It is so cool that your boys bought gifts for the rest of their family. This has been on my brain but I haven't figured out how to make it happen. (The boys have spent their spending money buying replacement lamps and other household items they have broken!) I think we are going to make service gift certificates for one another today.

Can't wait to see the cake!