Wednesday, September 14, 2011

He Sits!

I know Ryan's 17 month update was all about being on the go. And that is how he spends 90% of his time. But lately, he has started really playing too. He recently started pushing cars along on the floor, playing with our toy castle and little people house. It's wonderful to watch him engage in something for more than a few seconds.
He wants desperately to be in the middle of everything. He would much rather sit on a stool at the counter than in his highchair (which I don't let him do at mealtimes). He has started climbing into the chairs at the dinning room table (sometimes onto the table, lovely!). I decided to pull out the booster seat. So now he can actually sit and see and play. He loves it and actually remains seated. And can't yet figure out how to get out. Perfect!
We bought this set for him for his 1st birthday. Obviously something for him to grow into. He has begun playing with it for extended periods of time. And if he were my first child, I am sure I'd be right there next to him, teaching him his colors and shapes :) Instead, I am thankful for the free minutes and doing any chore I can do within seeing distance! He'll learn his colors and shapes someday.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I love reading your posts about him because I am going through all the exact same things with my Ryan. By the way, where did you get that toy? It looks so great. :)

Ali said...

Andrea, sounds like they would be great friends!
The toy is made by Lauri. I got it at a local toy/teach type store. I am sure you can order it online. it's great for colors, shapes, fine motor skills, etc.
thanks for your comment!

Megan said...

LOL! This post had me laughing because things are much the same with Danielle. She has a similar toy and it is like you said. I am so happy that she is playing and out from under my feet, but I am not over there teaching any shapes or colors!