Tuesday, April 26, 2011

At Home

The family that went with us to the beach last week are in the process of adopting 2 boys from Rwanda. Shortly before our beach trip they received their approval from the Rwandan government and now they are waiting for their referral and pictures of their sons :) There won't be much time between receiving the referral and their departure to bring the boys home. So you can only imagine what has recently been going through their minds. The logistics of packing for a potential 3 week trip is daunting. Not to mention the fears of the unknown. The medical/health supply list is enough to make me break out into a sweat :)
I for one love to pack (or I used to before I began packing for myself and 3 boys). I love to write lists for packing. As long as I can remember I was the maker and keeper of our family packing lists. Really I was the only reason we had a list in the first place ;) When Courtney mentioned needing to begin the lists, I was eager to help.
It was so easy to look at the lists and get overwhelmed. Not so much in the act of acquiring the items, but the potential need for the items. Like a lice kit, for example. I know I've never had one of those on my packing lists before. So then, you go down the road of what ifs. Up until this point in their journey I hadn't given much thought to their actual trip. Probably because I haven't the slightest clue. It seemed in that moment of sifting through lists, really scary to me. I am in no way suggesting this is how Courtney feels. I am just speaking for myself. I didn't realize how much I was thinking about it all until I read Psalm 27 this past Sunday for this week's lesson at Wellspring.
During my preparations I got stuck on verses 4-5.

"One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock."

I knew He was revealing something to me, so I chose to dwell there and listen. 

I realized I had forgotten where my home was. It's not just the safe confines of my earthly house. It's not a physical location. Or a place I know well.
I can choose to dwell in the house of the LORD from any location on a map. If I am gazing and seeking Him, does it really matter where I am? No!
Will he not meet me anywhere? Yes!
In fact, I am more likely to see Him when I am afraid or worried or helpless.

So, if I dwell in the House of the Lord, if I remember who I belong too, if I stay in His presence, then where I physically am does not matter. If I gaze on His beauty, if my eyes are on Him, then they are not on myself (which is such a relief). And if I seek him in his temple, if I am being led in his way, his will - not mine, is done.

Part of the teaching explained that when we see God Himself, we are changed. Seeing God instantly transforms us. Well, God has graciously shown me Himself in these verses. I have pondered this passage and He has been faithful. He has brought me home once again!
No, I am not the one going to Africa, but God has used their trip to change even me! And I pray that my lessons learned can encourage my dear friend Courtney has she trusts God on a whole new level :)


...he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Psalm 40:2-3.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

wow. i LOVE this...it's so true. it's been true for me every day since i started on those lists. when i run to Him, He welcomes me, calms me, reminds me...in an instant, i am SAFE and LOVED and CARED for completely. thank you, friend.