Monday, August 16, 2010

Eat. Breath. Baseball

How at the age of 6 is my son so obsessed with baseball? He has got it bad. It's almost all he talks about. He likes watching Phillies highlights in the morning or at least checking the score of the game. We are out in the yard most mornings by 8:30 playing some form of baseball, t-ball, catch etc. He talks about the Phillies players, their injuries, their schedules, who is pitching the next game. The list goes on and on.
I had a frightening realization this weekend. Owen had a classmate over to play. The little boy is the 5th child, he has 4 older sisters. When we took him home there was a huge gaggle of girls at his house. EJ and I drove away feeling slightly sorry for this little boy. Then the thought occurred to me. My 3 boys plus all their friends would leave me even more outnumbered. Yikes! Just something new to digest.
My sister and I grew up spending a good deal of time with my mom's 3 nephews. We were all close in age. Memories of my childhood have recently started flooding back when I look at my sons. My cousins helped prepare me for my boys. We played countless hours of wiffle ball. We watched the fishing channel and hours of baseball. We attended some of their baseball, football, tennis and basketball games. Some of my best childhood memories were with those boys and now its a little deja vu.

No comments: