Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Warnings

We've all been told to teach our children to say "no" to smoking, drugs, drinking and driving. I have added a new one. "Motorcycles are very dangerous." Because let's be real, my son is 5 and he thinks speed and loud engines are way more interesting than cigarettes and beer.
So today in the car, he informs me that when daddy gets a motorcycle he should be able to ride on the back with him, but just on the highways b/c there the slowest. Obviously, there are several incorrect thoughts going on in his little head.
1. If daddy is getting a motorcycle, it's news to me.
2. You will ride on the back over my dead body.
3. The highway is the fastest road, not the slowest.

BUT, most importantly, Motorcycles are DANGEROUS! Did I already say that?
I am not ashamed to say I used the phrase "you could die." I know this seems a little harsh but I figured now is the time to sneak these thoughts into his head. Sorry for all you motorcycle fans out there. But I am not one of them. I drove by a motorcyclist in a body bag on the side of the highway and the image still haunts me. I pray I never hear that kind of news, especially with my precious "willing to try anything" boys. Yes, I know the same thing could happen in a car. Especially b/c Owen claims he'll be driving when he is 10. Yikes, time does go by fast.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

im with you on the motorcycle thing...and crossing my fingers that carter wants to play soccer and bball over football! :) fun to watch unless your baby is on the field! :)

Michelle said...

I was talking to Mike about your post and he agrees with you....
"no motorcycles while you're under my roof!" sort of thing. ;)

Leah said...

great post ali! :)