Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sad Start

On New Year's Eve, our bags were packed and we were waiting for EJ to get home from a half day of work. I had told Ryan a dozen times that we were leaving for Levi's house as soon as Daddy got home. Per tradition we would be spending NYE and day with dear friends and we were ALL so excited. I fed the kids lunch while we waited. Owen, who had been complaining of a stomach ache, took one bit of his sandwich and started looking really green. He did not make it to the bathroom :(
I called EJ to tell him the bad news and he mentioned feeling nauseous himself.
So with deep sadness, I called all 3 families and told them we wouldn't be making the trip. 4 of the 6 of us cried. It was a sad day. Owen slept most of the day and EJ took a long nap. 
This is our sad, quiet dinner. EJ and Owen too sick to join us.
We watched a movie after dinner. I don't usually sit for movies. It was good for me to sit. And clearly my lap was needed ;)

On New Year's day, I taught the older 2 how to play Clue. We've played at least 5 times since then. 
We also made gum from a kit we got in May for Ryan's birthday. They have been chomping at the bit to make it and we never thought of it at the right time.
I stayed in my pajamas ALL DAY.
  
I made a Chocolate cake with Salted Caramel Icing to take with us, I was so sad not to share it. I couldn't bring myself to try it until New Year's Day. Half of it is in the freezer if anyone wants to come over and try it ;) It probably won't help with New Year's Resolutions, though.
  
Despite our disappointments, we did try to make the most of our extra family days together.

The kids got this platform swing for Christmas.    
 crew.
We really missed being with our friends but it was good to be reminded how much we love and are loved by them. We are definitely blessed. I am so glad we usually have our NYE planned way in advanced because it's just not the same without our NYE crew.

1 comment:

Courtney Cassada said...

we missed you all so so much. our kids are still talking about it... :(