For the past several weeks, I have been planning "Orphan Sunday" for my church. With the encouragement, prayers and brainstorming of 2 friends and EJ (who had no choice), a mattress drive was launched last Sunday. I was the spokesperson for our orphan care ministry. With shaking hands, I stood up at both services and shared a personal testimony about my passion for orphan care as well as announced our plans to help a place in town that provides a network of services for local kids in foster care.
Early on in the planning, I tried to think of something that perhaps separates the orphan from other people in need. For example, poverty, hunger, sickness and homelessness (to name a few) can be associated with a much larger population of people. So, I narrowed my focus to bed time.
It might seem silly, but sleep is very important to me and I make it a big priority for my kids. When I don't sleep well, my people hear about it. I certainly can't speak for all orphans or kids in foster care, but the majority have very different sleeping conditions and bedtime routines. I made a short movie that was played at church, to help show some differences.
I didn't just want to make folks sad or feel sorry for kid's without families. I wanted us to help with a tangible need (our church is good with this). I called a place in town, that serves kids in foster care to see if they needed any particular items. In my tiny brain, I was hoping for blankets or books, something bedtime oriented. God had bigger plans, she told me they could used some new mattresses!

Orphan care is not easy but it's so worth it. It's hard on the heart, the mind, and the body. The more I learn about orphans, the more I end up begging God to show me that he is with them just as His word promises. Psalm 33:4 “For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.” He has faithfully shown me his hand at work, each time I have asked to see him.
Imagine praying for a family? Now that's a big prayer!
God goes to great lengths to bring us home to himself. He does not leave us alone and he doesn’t leave the orphan alone either. He invites us to participate in their care and by doing so we are richly blessed.
There are currently over 5000 kids in foster care in Virginia alone!!! United Methodist Family Services, serves 35 kids in their residential program and about 80 kids living in foster homes. They currently have a need for new twin mattresses, waterproof mattress covers and twin sheets. My hope is that our church family can join in orphan care together and that perhaps more hearts will be softened to those without families.
Please join me in praying! I am excited to see how the Lord works.
1 comment:
that's awesome! i can't wait to hear more about it in person ;-) and i KNOW He will provide abundantly for these children and families!
Post a Comment