Friday, March 23, 2012

Giver of All Good Gifts

This photo has kept me thinking.
 

About a month ago Owen wrote a list of gift suggestions for his birthday. Keep in mind that would have only been 2 months since Christmas. Some of the items were huge in cost and some by size. Here are a few to give you an idea ;) Nintendo D.S., a computer, T.V., 2 football field goals (like the real thing). See what I mean? At the very end of the list it said "no Barbies, no girl stuff." Got to love it!

Well, I was tempted to throw it away. Embarrassed that my son sounded so worldly and greedy. How could he think he needs SO much? Never mind he hasn't a clue how much any of those things really cost. Never mind that I am the very same way, I just disguise my lists by keeping them in my head or writing them in several different places. Heaven forbid we see my sinful heart ;)

I was not excited to buy Owen's birthday present b/c I figured if we chose to get something not on his list, he would be disappointed. But I knew that none of the items on that list would be good gifts for him. A child is going to write a list of items for things they have seen on commercials, catalogs or at a friend's house. They have a fairly narrow view, they don't know all that is out there.

Well, you can tell by his expression in the photo above that he was completely thrilled with his gift. He has been using it every day since then.

This photo has taught me a lot. Owen thought he knew what he wanted. He wrote it all down. He was convinced. Little did he know the gift givers might have some wisdom too. Little did he know there was something else out there.

I am not suggesting that Owen has been forever satisfied with this gift. Or that it was THE perfect gift. He will write another list soon enough or convince Mason to add something to his birthday list that he himself wants ;)

Seeing Owen's expression and delight reminded me that we don't always know what we want. God, the Giver of all good gifts, of THE Gift, His Son, knows what is best for ME. I can write my lists, make my plans and even with the best intentions in mind, but ultimately He knows. My lists and plans are created with that same small minded, narrow view that Owen had. But God knows the big picture. I can't even begin to imagine the gifts He has in mind for me.

As the parent and the gift giver in this example, I myself was delighted to bring such joy to my child's face. How much more does our Father in Heaven delight in bringing us joy?

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:9-11

Oh and EJ saw the list after Owen's birthday (I thought he had seen it or maybe I "lost" it). His response was, "cute, we should really save this." Inside my head I was thinking, you've got to be kidding me. But his words softened my heart and helped me to see all that I have written in this post. You see, God is not surprised by my lists. He knows my very heart. He loves me that much. EJ was not tempted to love Owen any less or bless him any less. And my Creator is not going to love me any less either.

Sorry to be so deep on a Friday ;)

3 comments:

Jill said...

I needed to hear this. Thanks for being deep on a Friday! Happy Birthday!! :)

Courtney said...

wow...such true words! thank you!

Leah said...

wow Ali. that was good. :) thank you.