Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Reading

This photo was take in July of 2010. 
At the time, I was the one doing most of the reading.
It was like pulling teeth getting him to read on his own.
He still isn't crazy about reading. He rarely gets wrapped up in a book. Although he has been known to plow through a Diary of the Wimpy Kid. Now, I can hardly believe that he is reading above grade level and just reached his AR goal for the school year. AR is short for accelerated reader. In their free time at school, students can read books and take an online test. I don't know how it works exactly, but they earn points depending on how they do on the tests. Students are given a goal at the beginning of the school year. Owen has been updating me as he got closer. It's not for a grade, the program just helps encourage (the competitive kids) to read more ;) It worked.

I am thrilled that he worked hard, accomplished his goal and is proud of himself. It was the first thing he told each of us (including Mason) the moment he saw us today after school.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

That's awesome! Way to go Owen!

Courtney said...

yay Owen!!!