It appears that Owen wears his anxiety on his sleeve, actually he feels it is in his belly, but it's that obvious. Last week was a challenge. He and Mason had swim lessons and Owen was extremely anxious about going. I've decided I am grateful for this transparency. It's so black and white. There is no guess work involved. All last week, he learned more about trusting me and trusting God. We talked a lot and prayed a lot. It even got so that he would ask me to pray for him. Now obviously, I wouldn't wish such anxiety upon him, but it was a great experience. Owen needed to learn that he can't do everything on his own. He learned that God is always with him and can comfort him when he askes. As his mother, I felt his anxiety in the pit of my stomach too. I prayed for him too. Now through the eyes of a parent I can see why it's important for us to be in need of Him. If everything was a piece of cake we wouldn't lean on HIM.
How much more does our Father in Heaven want us to rely upon Him. We can not truly know our need for HIM if we are always comfortable. Should we specifically ask for tough situations? Not necessarily. At least I wouldn't. But I realized in church on Sunday as I was singing, that I can't feel HIS presence nearly as much when I am not in pain. Whether physically (yes, my neck is better. Praise Him) or emotionally or mentally in need of someone greater than ourselves.
Yesterday was lesson 5 and Owen almost went so far as to say he enjoyed himself. I could hardly believe my ears. He is doing great.
While Owen did his crying before the lesson, Mason cried during the lesson and continues to do so. He is still not having much fun. It's a mommy and me class, so I am not having much fun either :) Only one more to go. I think we will both be relieved.
BTW- My neck gets a rash when I am anxious. Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
1 comment:
what a great reminder!
Post a Comment