Thursday, January 14, 2016

Special Visitor

We are hosting this sweet boy (11 years old) for a month! He is arriving middle of February!

As Yangcai's arrival drawers nearer, I am getting more and more nervous about introducing another special child to our home and hearts. The logistics of not being able to speak the same language is a common fear in my thoughts and what if he doesn't like my American style cooking, but if I am really honest with myself, I am more concerned with the saying goodbye part (oh, my heart).

I have no idea what the Lord is doing in bringing these 3 boys to our hometown. The other 2 boys are staying with incredible families. Both families attend our church and we all have kids of similar ages. The boys will be here for a month, experiencing America and life in a family life for the first time. There are 13 kids in total coming through a hosting program with Across the World Adoptions.

The biggest lesson EJ and I learned while adopting Avery was to trust God in the small steps. If our minds went to the big picture and fears of the future, we would have gone crazy. God wants us to take faithful steps one day at at time. This is what we are doing by saying "yes" to hosting Yangcai. We are trusting him moment by moment.

In November, we were asked if we'd consider hosting a boy whose host family had to back out of the program. Other families were a lot further along in the paperwork and fundraising process, but EJ and I said we'd pray about it. Over the course of a weekend, we could not find a "good" reason to say no. Yes, we had plenty of questions, fears and some anxiety about the cost, but we decided to trust God. Wow, did He provide, and so quickly. It's been a huge blessing to see folks rally around us. God provided all the money we needed through our church, friends and complete strangers! We also have Drs agreeing to see the boys at no cost. This is an amazing journey already and the boys don't arrive for another month!

I'd love if you'd join me in praying for them. Their first time flying experience of a mere 24 hours, being picked up at an airport by complete strangers who don't speak their language. Eating strange food and sleeping in a new place. Oh my! I can't imagine.

Please pray for the 3 host families as we do our best to advocate for them while they are here. This is possibly the only chance they have of being "known" to potential adoptive parents and not just a "file." We have the opportunity to tell folks about them, their special needs and their personalities.

If you have any questions, please please email me at alifogarty@gmail.com

1 comment:

Courtney said...

God is already moving in mighty ways just by your "yes." Praying for all of you!! He hit the jackpot getting to come to your family and home!