Each summer, I attempt to do a small study with my kids. I pray about what to study and God usually makes it pretty clear what the subject matter should be. In college, a wise woman in my life, took time out of her busy family life to go through this book with me and another friend. I kept it. It's small but has tons of good scripture references about how powerful our words (good or bad) can be.
The kids and I are going through it slowly. I am repeating the theme of each chapter over a period of 3-4 days depending on the week. To help it have time to sink in. I don't read the whole book (it was not written for kids). I am using it as a jumping off point and usually only read a few sentences at a time mostly centered around the verse we are focusing on.
There is a certain someone in my crew that likes to color each time. So at least 1 time per theme I find a coloring page online to keep him interested. These are samples. We have covered: being a fountain of life, bragging, complaining, and this week we are studying reckless/careless speech.I wish I could say they sit with eager anticipation each afternoon, but it's not usually like that. We will continue anyway, and I pray that these words sink down in their hearts and take root. Each lesson, is also a reminder of how much we NEED Jesus and the cross because despite our best efforts, we fail ALL the time. I am grateful for the time we have together and I think deep down they are too ;)
1 comment:
A great topic! Words are very powerful. I know that deeply. God is glorified in your efforts and I'm encouraged by your persistence. God is at work all the time!
Post a Comment