Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Off the Sand

I've been welcome at Nana's beach house for 14 summers! Time flies. Some things never change, including these artificial flowers, the coffee mug and the shag carpet ;) I do however long for the days Nana was standing in front of the kitchen window waiting our return from the beach ready to enjoy lunch and hear all about it. Her face still lights up when she sees my children but it's now from her chair or bed. We are grateful for another summer with her and hoping my children have lasting memories of their Nana.
  
All 6 of us camped out in this room. Thank goodness it's so huge.
 PopPop spoiled the boys with all their favorite meals, including 100 steamed clams on this night!
She never ceases to amaze me. The boys and EJ all rode bikes to the beach. EJ pulled the chariot full of beach gear instead of Avery, so I walked with her. She did the 3 blocks sometimes twice a day with no complaints, unless I got ahead of her ;) She needed to "beat" me. She LOVED the beach and was often asking to go before breakfast.
We had a little too much bonding time before 7 am ALL week. The latest she slept all week was 6:20, a few times she was up before 6. It always involved the potty and totally not her fault. She gets a little out of whack on vacation. Miraculously, I handled it well. 3 kids ago I would have been irritated, frustrated and exhausted. If EJ tried to help her, she yelled :( and I didn't want the whole house awake. Thankfully the boys slept through it all and I just went to bed a little earlier.
 One night, the boys went to a Phillies game.
 The game was a dull one, but they managed to have a good time.
 
Avery and I had a quiet dinner with Nana and Olga, the caretaker. Then the two of us hit the town. We went for a long walk which included a stop for ice cream.
 And this gorgeous spot.
No trip to Nana's is complete without a night at the arcade. The SAME one EJ went with his grandpa. Now PopPop is the lucky one to waste spend his money ;)
 
We brought home two new family members. Batman and Superman, the hermit crabs. Every summer they ask, this time EJ said yes and I just rolled my eyes. Mason and Ryan used their own money and we have new entertainment in our house. They also bought a cage, but the laundry basket provides "exercise". Today, however one escaped while it's owner ran off and made it's way to the boys closet!!! There were a few tears and panic, but we eventually found him buried under some dress-up clothes.
Every year I think, I've got to figure out how to swing a two-week stay (EJ leaving after 1st week). The kids are almost independent enough. Next summer, I just might be able to manage 1 week without EJ. That's assuming PopPop can survive the noise and chaos ;)

No comments: