Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 15- Team USA

Today, we had our U.S. consulate appointment. The whole reason we are still in China and in Guangzhou. All U.S. adoptions finish here. We submitted all the necessary paperwork and gave an oath that it was true to our knowledge and tomorrow our guide will pick up Avery's visa! I might have sung "God Bless America" on the bus ride over and did a little dance afterwards. Sadly, we were not allowed any electronic devices (including watches?!?!) so you'll just have to take my word on both the singing and dancing ;) When Avery lands in the U.S. she will be an American citizen!!
 
The 4 of us were all decked out in our red, white and blue. Since we were not allowed to bring cameras, we tried to get a family shot back at the hotel and it started raining. After Avery's nap, I snuck her back to the garden while the boys were at the pool. I got about 10 photos snapped before it started raining again. Thanks to Grandma she wore another precious bow!
 
I don't think I have really taken time to reflect on the fact that I have daughter. She is ours, finally! It feels strangely natural to hold her and kiss her and snuggle her. I can't say that it feels like she receives it naturally, but that will come. She has come such a long way in just 9 days, I can hardly believe it.
She is really looking me in the eye now and she loves to copy my expressions. She is walking now if we hold her hands and she'd be happy practicing all day. I foresee lots of laps up and down the airplane isle.
The rain drops started and the wind picked up.
She was ready to go. She is still trying to figure out the wind.
Tomorrow we head to our final destination before boarding a plane home. 2 days!
Saying our goodbyes. Ann, on the far right, left with her family today. Their consulate appt was yesterday. Maria, to the left, heads out tomorrow at the same time we do. I will see Jess's family on our long flight back to the states. We can pace the isles together and exchange baby toys too :) Plus, Owen and Beck will have a buddy on the flight!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

So many good things in this post! Avery is the cutest in her bows, makes me want to get more for our little girl on the way. So glad she is starting to walk, be held more closely and look you in the eyes. Grateful your appt went well, you'll be heading home soon and that Owen will have a friend on the long flight! Praise God for working in all the details!! Love you all!

Carrie said...

Avery looks cuter in every photo! Must be your love!

Courtney said...

praise God. you're almost there, my friend!!!! almost there!!

Courtney said...

praise God. you're almost there, my friend!!!! almost there!!

Jill said...

I'm not sure if it is my imagination, but I can actually see a difference in Avery's posture towards you since you first met. Praise the Lord! I'm guessing you are waking up right now on your LAST DAY!!?? Right? Hooray! Praying for safe travels.

Unknown said...

SHE's reaching for you!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! So thankful this is IT!!! Come on home!!! So much to be thankful for:)!! xo!!

Peyton said...

oh ali, I'm getting caught up on your blog (we've all been sick) and I am just loving your posts, and praying praying praying. I am so glad the time has been so great with owen. she is so precious, I can't wait to meet her and see you guys. love all the posts (except the ones about you guys not feeling well) love you friend.

Peyton said...

oh ali, I'm getting caught up on your blog (we've all been sick) and I am just loving your posts, and praying praying praying. I am so glad the time has been so great with owen. she is so precious, I can't wait to meet her and see you guys. love all the posts (except the ones about you guys not feeling well) love you friend.