Thursday, August 20, 2009

Happy Anniversary TOT

Thank you for your compliments!

Owen is slowly warming up to the new header. He doesn't like it as much as the old one. He liked it a little more when I explained my inspiration was the start of school.

So where did Tripping Over Toys come from?

1. Most literally because I do physically trip over my children's toys on a daily basis. I remember being a first time home buyer and thinking I'll never have a house full of ugly plastic toys. Surely I'll figure out a better way. Ha! If you find one, let me know.

2. Metaphorically it represents my relationship with God. The second you bring home a newborn you realize how truly selfish and self centered you are (if your first year of marriage didn't already reveal it). The Lord has used my children over and over again to remind me that life isn't all about me. My life is not my own, it belongs to my maker and HE is good. Being a mom is the hardest and most rewarding challenge I have ever faced. My boys are constantly there right under my feet, just like their toys. I often feel like they are in my way, they are keeping me from doing what I want to do. But the Truth is that they are helping me to become more like Christ. I am learning to die to myself and give to others.

"[Jesus], being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness." -Philippians 2:6-7

Christ came to earth to serve me. He died for my sins. It's not out of obligation that I want to return the favor. It is a response to His amazing Love that gives me the desire to serve Him. A simple way of serving Him is by loving His children, His gifts to me, Owen and Mason.

What is truly amazing is that I have discovered over time how the tripping and stubbing of my toes doesn't really bother me anymore. Evidence that I have changed. He is at work in me.
the original