Monday, August 15, 2011

His Goodness

Our most recent word study was meekness. A tough concept to describe and explain, but I thought the book's definition and teacher's info did a good job. Meekness, "is being willing to give up my rights in order to put others first. Meekness waits for God to bring about justice." This is not the definition you will find in the English dictionary. Quite the opposite in fact.
I recently learned of this acronym J.O.Y (Jesus, Others, You) in a book and have been teaching it to the boys. It was great for our discussion on meekness. Something tangible for them to remember. I have been using it a lot.

Today we cleaned the van. It's a great way to love EJ. He loves a clean car.
Cleaning the car for daddy isn't exactly being meek, but it is acknowledging what another person would like and doing it for them. The more we talk about the words the more they get it. I am realizing (I guess b/c my kids are bigger and can carry on conversations) that I can bring up the Gospel in everything. The pastor at our church does an incredible job at finding the gospel in everything: literature, movies, life events, etc. He has been a great example to me.
I have also realized that I have to be IN the Bible in order to "see" the Gospel in everything. If it's on my mind and in my heart, I "see" it everywhere. When I see it, my kids learn so much more.
The most common phrase this summer was, "that's not fair." I hated it. It became an ugly habit for Owen and Mason. You know the phrase, "well, life's not fair." That kept coming to my mind, but I would stop myself from saying it. It didn't feel right. What does that really teach them? I didn't want that to be my response. I knew the gospel could be put there instead.
Sure enough one of the Psalms from my summer study says this, "He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities." Psalm 103:10. So technically, the boys are right. "it's not fair," we deserve far worse. The wages of sin are death, but the GIFT of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord (Romans 6:23).
Is it "fair" that Jesus had to die on the cross for YOUR sins? Do we deserve to go to heaven? What do we really deserve?
Of course, the boys don't totally get it, but I have heard a lot less "it's not fair." And I pray that the gospel will take root in their hearts and that they would know the love the Father has for them.
As for this mama, I am so thankful He is giving me the words. Plus, I am learning as I teach. God is so generous ;)
It must be mentioned. The reason I posted pictures of myself (looking so fantastic, ha) is because washing a car is hard work on my upper body. I would not have chosen this activity 3 months ago. Praise God, I am feeling well enough to do this! He is GOOD!

4 comments:

Lissa said...

Good lesson in meekness and love. And maybe you all had some fun working together too? Very cute!

Christy said...

I MISS YOU!!!!
Love this Ali....its so sweet :)
And LOVE that last picture---love seeing your beautiful face, and rejoicing with you in your strength.
LOVE YOU :)

the reppard crew said...

i love this post! you are a GREAT wife. I think Hatch would fall over and die if he came home to a hand-washed and hand-cleaned car!! And, I love your thoughts on loving your boys and pointing them to Jesus. Thank you!

Courtney said...

so much truth here, friend. thank you!