Monday, November 10, 2008

Family Tree

Almost a year ago, I decided to create a family tree. I got the idea from the Red Envelope, but decided to do it myself. Little did I know it would take me this long. The tree was finished months ago, but I had some trouble collecting my information. Thanks for the work of many family members we got almost all I needed. As a result we have this awesome piece of family history on display in our dining room. The tree represents my side as well as Ej's side and goes back 5 generations. The females of both families are in red and the males are green. My two sons are written on the tree trunk.
While doing my research, I couldn't help but reflect about how I will be remembered for generations to come. What little information I found was lacking in details and usually meaningless and trivial information. So I asked myself, am I building a godly heritage that will last through the generations? Will my children's children know how much I loved the Lord. Am I an example of Christ's sacrificial love? Is it obvious where my hope comes from and with whom I trust? (Not for my glory, but for His)

Psalm 62:5-7
"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God..."

"We mothers have the opportunity to influence eternity by building a spiritual legacy in the lives of our children" Sally Clarkson's "Mission of Motherhood."

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That's a neat project Ali. And a daily reminder of the important role that mothers play in building up a family. It feels a bit intimidating to me as I start down the path, so I am grateful that the Lord is good and faithful to His children.

Courtney said...

wow, Ali! that's AMAZING, beautiful, so special.

Catherine said...

Ali, I love that! What a beautiful piece to have with your family for many years to come.